Monday, November 5, 2007

Those of you who know me will understand the title of my blog. Some of you may remember my nickname in Bowling Green, KY as the Rhode Island Redneck. Since I spent 29 of my first 36 years in Little Rhody, I just cannot get the dynamites, fried clams, fish 'n' chips, Del's, chowder (never with cream or milk!!!) and clam cakes, and 'Gansett out of my system. So call me a RI Yankee or a RI Redneck...

Let me state this about TX: the Austin Lounge Lizards "Stupid Texas Song" sums most of my feelings about TX and Texans. First the cons: arrogance; ignorance; bad baseball teams; George H. W. Bush; George W. Bush; Neil Bush; Barbara Bush (the grandmother); Jeb Bush; Tom Delay; Dick Armey; Rick Perry; Lone Star Beer; summer; spring; autumn; winter; cedar fever; Alberto Gonzalez; Harriet Miers; tornados; overated colleges and universities; pickup trucks; SUVs; Dick Cheney (I don't care if he registered to vote in WY and he was their House Rep - he's a Texan by choice); Amarillo; Dallas; Houston; Beaumont; Port Arthur; Westlake; football mentality; I-35 in Austin; malls, shopping centers and cheerleaders. I could go on...

The pros: cheerleaders; The Salt Lick; Round Rock Express; Lubbock (for the great musicians from thereabouts); steak (oh my - yes yes yes); San Antonio; Louis Meuller; BBQ; Lost Maples; Fredricksburg; Dan Rather; Bill Moyers; Ron Paul's honesty and courage; Andy Pettitte; the Pedernales River; Shiner Bock; Christina Marrs; The Spankers; Anne Richards; Molly Ivins; Jim Hightower; Don Luis at Azul Tequila in Austin; Antone's; Waterloo Records; Cheapo Records; The Saxon Pub, The Mucky Duck; Bend Studio; Matt the Electrician; Wammo; The Spurs; and did I mention the steak? I could go on...

Further details will be forthcoming.

9 comments:

kszyman said...

Great concept! I want to learn more about pillaging and plundering, and whether Budweiser Clamato has made an impact on the PNW.

Rhode Island Yankee said...

Thanks, kszyman! I am sure a future posting will cover those subjects!

Anonymous said...

Great - this is how we've advanced as a civilization. The garbage spoken at the Forum in Rome was heard only by those within earshot. Now we are forced to tolerate such drivel at our computers. Before I know it, there will be a lifesized hologram of you wearing a Yankeees cap in my living room! Go Yankees - and take the Mets with you!

Rhode Island Yankee said...

Hey Manny - thanks for the return drivel! Only a Red Sox fan from Flower Mound could be so vitriolic as well as knowing that I root for the Bronx Bloviators. Obviously you forgot your Twain and the reference rolled through your 5-hole.

Anonymous said...

Listen chowderhead, I ain't no Texan from no Flower Mound - rather I'm part of the Red Sox Nation who lives close to the hometown of Dustin Pedroia, if you know who he is and you may not given your tunnel (as in NYC's Lincoln Tunnel) vision.

Rhode Island Yankee said...

Sorry all of you Flower Mounders...as MtE sings "...go back to California if you don't love freedom...". wow, 2 WS triumphs in 86 years and Red Sox Nation has developed a superiority complex...get a bigger hat...your hologram is on its way and will be delivered a Terminator...

Anonymous said...

No superiority complex here. Just enjoying it all and living in the moment. When was the last time (moment) the Yankees won it all? 2000, right? That's not just 7 years, they're 7 Steinbrenner years which are longer than dog years. And their new manager did a great job of pissing everybody off in Florida which is why he was unemployed. I'm lookin' forward to next year, and the next.

Speaking of Flower Mounders, the ex was re-elected yesterday to her 7th consecutive term as mayor. There is hope for Hillary.

kszyman said...

So, Rhode Island Yankee:

* Have you yet mailed in your check for $9.11 to the Guiliani campaign?

* Tell us a bit about the merits and drawbacks of Mitt Romney.

* What did you think of Obama's book, "The Audacity of Hope"?

kszyman

Rhode Island Yankee said...

Good morning, kszyman (is that pronounced "quiche-mon"?). In answer to your questions: now that Pat Robertson has endorsed Rudy the fire truck chaser, God is on Rudy's team and he will need no more new money. Pat will change slugs into cash at Rudy's next fund-raiser (Rudy will wear the latest Donna Karan business ensemble; Mitt's hair is just too perfect and he is far too metrosexual for me. I prefer the jowly Richardson, Goofy Huckleberry (oops, Huckaby), or alien Kucinich look; alas, I have not read Obama's book, so unlike an idiot such as Bill O'Reilly I do not have a stupid opinion to express. I am currently re-reading "On the Road" and "A Child's Garden of Grass" with "Blackwater" on deck.