Sunday, February 19, 2012

Peritoneal Dialysis Update

We started peritoneal dialysis (PD) training on 2/13 and I have to say that the experiment failed miserably. We handled the technical part easily, understanding what to do and how to do it. What I could not handle were the side effects of the continual presence of the 2 liters of solution in my gut. I had difficulty breathing and could not function other than to sit and breath as well as I could. My brain functions were impaired by the breathing difficulties and I could not walk very far before tiring. I was so distressed, depressed, disheartened, and disappointed by the experience that I had to quit the training after only three days. I am now back on hemodialysis and dealing with leg cramps again. One positive outcome of the PD experiment was the suggestion of the PD nurse that I eat a pickle when I had leg or foot cramps. I tried that cure the other night and it worked. Of course, it helps that I love pickles, but it does go against the advice of both my nephrologist and cardiologist not to eat any extra salt.

1 comment:

politchick said...

Hooray for pickles! Whatever works! I'm glad to hear your voice. Keep on truckin'. There's a lot of love coming your way.